What causes sneezing, cough with running nose and vomiting?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 71 have never had allergies. About 4 months ago a home aid came with sneezing and cough. She came again 3 days later saying the she felt "spacey" which was odd in that I felt the same way. My head was totally clogged. after about 2 weeks my nose began to drip a clear fluid and then I began to have a terrible cough to the extent that when I threw up a clear slim there was something that looked like a piece of red tomato skin and I hadn't had one in 3 weeks. I finally went to my md who said that my ears and nose were very inflammed. She RX'd a steriod nasal spray that didn't have any effect. When I woke up in mornings the nasal flow and ensuing cough would begin. I began to sleep on a wedge under my back to not be horizontal which helped a bit. I went back to her about 2 months later and she said I just have allergies. I noticed an ad on TV about pneumoccal infections which my symptoms match. Thankfully I seem to be getting better but there is still a mild nasal drip and my ears pop when I gently blow my nose. I think that my body is healing itself but I feel that my md should have done more than just say allergies. Tx for listening to my sage. Sallie
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible post nasal drip or allergic cough.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sallie,

Thank you fur using HCM to post your question.

I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

What you are describing seems like that it has started like a viral infection and in meanwhile you might have had seasonal allergies at the same time.

---Even if you have never had allergies during all your life, you may start to have those at any time, that happens.

---Also, on the other side, a pneumococcal infection its very severe if it lasts more then 2 weeks. You would have had fever, shortness of breath, chest pain, getting worse day by day. Is this your case? Doesn't look like that, since you are saying that you are feeling better.

--- One other reason I also think its allergies, and why your doctor has thought that too, its that typically allergies last for 3-6 months.

--- What might have happened to you, the fact why you had the cough, and it got better after you didn't lay down horizontal, its what it is called a Post Nasal drip, so thats why that cough for long time, and thats why it is more prone to happen in an allergic setting, but not only.

So these are my thoughts. I don't think you needed antibiotics, if you didn't had fever or were in that sever situation that I explained above. So it let the doctor with the choice of treating the symptom you were having- cough- either because of allergy, or the post nasal drip. In both cases, we would treat that with nasal steroids. These treatment starts taking effect after using it regularly for 3-4 weeks. If you haven't used it for so much long, then thats why you haven't seen the effect.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need more clarifications. Otherwise please kindly close and rate the answer.

Regards.
Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee