What causes sneezing and nasal congestion post a dental work?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had teeth cleaned today with several shots of novocaine which has never bothered me before. However, I have been sneezing all afternoon with congestion. I took two anti-congestion and 2 allergy pills (OTC). No effect. Can you suggest anything to stop the irritation? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get your throat examined for any signs of infection,may need antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, it can be inflammation of pharynx or nasal mucosa most probably due to allergy but might also be infective. Using ant histamines and decongestants was the right approach as you have started with. You can use anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine and decongestants can also be continued. Meanwhile keep using steam inhalations and saline water gargles will help with stuffiness and irritation. Avoid greasy, oily and sour diets and avoid direct exposure to dust and cold. Hopefully symptoms will resolve with these measures but if they didn't then you can even need antibiotics like augmentin or azithromycin for few days after careful examination of throat by your primary physician. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Since I felt fine prior to dentist visit and novocaine, could there be a correlation between my symptoms and the anesthetic? I am still sneezing more than I can remember in my lifetime. Thanks.
Brief Answer:
It is less likely due to drug but may be due to dislodged bacteria

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. No, it doesn't seem to be the cause but any bacteria like strep dislodged during dental procedure may be the cause. A throat swab culture may be needed if signs of pharyngitis are observered during throat examination and antibiotic cover like augmentin or azithromycin will be helpful to overcome it. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar