What causes snapping sound in the ankle after taking Ciprofloxacin?

Question
I WAS GIVEN THE MEDICATION CIPRO AND A WEEK LATER MY ANKLES BEGAN TO SNAP AND POP. IT SOUNDED LIKE RUBBERBANDS HITTING PAPER. ALL ACROSS MY FEET AND ANKLES. THE BOTTOM OF MY FEET HAD SUCH PAIN I COULD NOT STAND OR WALK. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS TO HAPPEN. WILL I GET BETTER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be the drug

Detailed Answer:

ciprofloxacin may indeed cause musculoskeletal disorders including tendinitis in various parts of the body (including the Achilles' tendon) and joint pain. Such side effects are rare though. I can't exclude that the drug caused them particularly since you were fine before taking it. These side effects may start even if only a few hours have passed after starting the drug but they may also start much later - even months.

If it's the drug then stopping it is the only thing you can do. Visiting an orthopedics specialist for assessment would be required. Such problems usually take many weeks to heal completely but improvement is expected earlier. The orthopedics specialist should be able to provide more insight as to the cause of your symptoms (and whether a side effect is likely or not).

Since ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic that's given for important infections, I would recommend against taking any action without your doctor's approval.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!

Follow-up: What causes snapping sound in the ankle after taking Ciprofloxacin? 2 hours later
I HAVE NO FOLLOW UP QUESTION. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome... glad to help!

Kind Regards!