What causes smelly vaginal discharge?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I am a woman and have noticed after working a long day at the office in my chair I develop an odor down in my lady region was wondering if that's normal and what I can do to prevent it. I am free from any STD and bathe regularly.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely yeast infection.,but need more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear , Welcome to Health Care Magic forum.
Thanks for writing in to us with your health query .

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns completely. It is not abnormal to have vaginal odor after many hours because of normally secreted vaginal discharge , but I need to know that whether this odor is associated with any abnormal discharge which has increased over short duration.

Any itching?

Normal vaginal discharge is clear. Is there any change in color of the discharge?

Till then thoroughly clean the area while taking bath. Wear cotton panties.

You can use vaginal douches like V Wash to clean the area. If you are sexually active then use condom.

Looking forward to your reply.

Dr Manisha Jain.
OBGY Specialist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 21 minutes later
I mean I get the occasional discharge but it's 9 times out of 10 clear. I notice slight color changes near my period or after but that's about it. No itching. It just makes me uncomfortable to think maybe my coworkers could possibly notice it.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physiological

Detailed Answer:
Then there is nothing to worry as it is physiological to have increased discharge just prior to the period date which is usually normal.
But since you are uncomfortable start using vwash perineal hygiene wash on daily basis and can change panties twice a day during times of increased discharge.
In general you can also skip wearing panties at night and rather wear a loose cotton based night wear.
Try these simple precautions and see if there is a difference.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina