What causes smaller feces?

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What causes smaller than normal size feces?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For how long has this been going on?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this smaller than normal size feces that you have reported. This can be caused by anything which causes the exit of the anus too be small. The most common of them are internal hemorrhoids. Other conditions such as polyps of malignant growths in the anal area can cause this as well. However, a majority of them are transient and usually resolve spontaneously without the need for medical attention. If this is a recent occurrence, monitor for another one week or two. If this has been going on for more than a month, please see a gastroenterologist for evaluation. At 60years, it is also time to get your first colonoscopy and this will greatly help in the process of investigating, establishing and managing any possible causes of this condition.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah