• question-icon

What causes small white bumps in pubic area?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Started noticing these small numbs on my pubic area. There is multiple of them and they are very small and have a white center. What are they?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum. Get it removed.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the small eruptions on your pubic area.

After analyzing the picture it appears to be Molluscum contagiosum. It is a simple viral infection caused by molluscum contagiosum virus which appears as pearl like and have central depression when fully formed.

You should not at all be worried about the same. This is quite a common type of viral infection which I see in my clinic. As I already mentioned it is a simple viral infection which is very well treatable.

I generally treat it by simple "needling and extraction" procedure. This is a method in which by simple needle we puncture the area and extract out a whitish bead from inside which we call as needling and extraction. This is a simple office procedure and I would advise you to get it done from your nearest doctor. Other than that it could be removed by radiofrequency ablation. You can meet your treating doctor and get it removed.

The other point of advice to you is kindly don't scratch the area as it can lead to spreading of this simple problem. Do maintain the habit of safe sex practice in every situation.

Hope this helps.

"Wish you good health"

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 hours later
Is there an over the counter topical cream that would help removal?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is always better and simple to get these removed.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.

There are certain creams which could be applied over it at home. But the only problem is the irritation after the application of the cream. As these have counter irritation property so could irritate or burn the area. Even then on safer side I suggest my patients to apply Adapalene gel. I suggest my patients to apply with a match stick over the eruptions. If there is any irritation or burning then to be washed immediately. It is always better to meet a doctor and get it removed at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

My best wishes for your earliest recovery.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist