• question-icon

    What causes small white bumps in pubic area?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Started noticing these small numbs on my pubic area. There is multiple of them and they are very small and have a white center. What are they?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum contagiosum. Get it removed.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the small eruptions on your pubic area.

After analyzing the picture it appears to be Molluscum contagiosum. It is a simple viral infection caused by molluscum contagiosum virus which appears as pearl like and have central depression when fully formed.

You should not at all be worried about the same. This is quite a common type of viral infection which I see in my clinic. As I already mentioned it is a simple viral infection which is very well treatable.

I generally treat it by simple "needling and extraction" procedure. This is a method in which by simple needle we puncture the area and extract out a whitish bead from inside which we call as needling and extraction. This is a simple office procedure and I would advise you to get it done from your nearest doctor. Other than that it could be removed by radiofrequency ablation. You can meet your treating doctor and get it removed.

The other point of advice to you is kindly don't scratch the area as it can lead to spreading of this simple problem. Do maintain the habit of safe sex practice in every situation.

Hope this helps.

"Wish you good health"

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 hours later
Is there an over the counter topical cream that would help removal?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is always better and simple to get these removed.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.

There are certain creams which could be applied over it at home. But the only problem is the irritation after the application of the cream. As these have counter irritation property so could irritate or burn the area. Even then on safer side I suggest my patients to apply Adapalene gel. I suggest my patients to apply with a match stick over the eruptions. If there is any irritation or burning then to be washed immediately. It is always better to meet a doctor and get it removed at the earliest.

I hope this helps.

My best wishes for your earliest recovery.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 4165 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Radiofrequency ablation

doctor1 MD

I had a rf ablation on the neck three and a half weeks ago. since than I have had tenderness and bruising at various spots on my head, including...

doctor1 MD

I have recurrent atrial fibrillation status post radio frequency ablation and bilateral thoracotomy this seems to be made wose during high stress...

doctor1 MD

My mother is 72 years old and had a cardiac ablation performed around February 21 for atrial fibrillation. It became complicated with a nick in her...

doctor1 MD

hi, im doing some research for my sister. she is 14 years old and about a year ago she was diagnosed with cardiac ablation for SVT which was...

doctor1 MD

I think I have nerve pain from shingles . I cannot drive my car for so long without pain from my rear to my left leg to foot what meds do you...

doctor1 MD

hi i am from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and recently i had done ecg of my mother and the ecg report said QRS(T) contour abnormality consider anterolateral...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have tied a skin tag in my armpit with dental floss and not it seems bigger, with the tip seemingly full fluid (the skin looks tight...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

153 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
  • Q - Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be?

  • Q - Have red raised skin with clear pus pores on arm. Using neosporin on it....

  • Q - Has dark patches on inside of upper lips. What could be the reason for...

  • Q - Have small pimples on foreskin. How to remove this?

  • Q - Have had a rash near anus it does not itch. Tried Hydrocortizone, no...

  • Q - Had a blood draw. Having a bruise or rash at that spot. Should I be...

  • Q - Have itchy pimple on penis. No relief after applying cream. Which...

  • Q - Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma?

  • Q - Has rash that looks like pimple. Treatment?

  • Q - Having scalp abscess. Scalp open up several layers with lesions and...