What causes small ulcer on bottom part of penis shaft?

Posted on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: i got a new small ulcer on bottom part of my penis shaft. it doesnt hurt or irtch. its about size of pencil eraser head. not bleeding. i had unprotectected oral sex with multiple women who are in prostitution in canada about 3 weeks ago and further back as well. i was told it was safe to have oral sex with a women. i got myself tested and waiting for results. what do you think i may have contracted ? i have no other symptoms just this little ulcer on my penis. i noticed it 5 days ago when i felt an itching sensation and i rubbed the area and my fingure was a little moist. no itching or painful urination. no fever or flu like symptoms. the area has not healed yet so i am doubting its from the blowjob ( teath cut)
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
STD ulcer possibility has to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Oral sex carries a lower risk for STD/HIV compared to that of vaginal and anal sex. At the same time, it is not an absolute safe procedure. Especially when there is multi-partner oral sex, the risk increases.
Among ulcer producing lesions of STDs, Herpes simplex lesion is common to acquire through oral sex.
There is a possibility for trauma also due to nail or teeth.
As there is no itching associated, non-STD skin conditions and secondary infections are unlikely.
A careful examination and investigations will either confirm or rule out STD. Consult a physician and follow his/her advice and get cured soon. Avoid multi partner oral sex. Safe sex practice (with condoms) is good with oral sex also.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 20 hours later
i got tested for type 2 herpes. this is very scary news. how do i tell my wife.?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends upon the outcome of the results

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
I think results of your tests are yet to be received. If they came negative you need not tell about these to your wife. If anything came positive (Eg:HSV type 2), then follow the advice by your physician regarding treatment, follow up, how to reveal the things to your wife , when to have sex etc. It would not be a big problem as your chances of getting STD/HIV are low.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
thank you dr. i am sorry I should say I got tested positive for type 2 herpes (genital). so my question is what do i do now ? can i have regular intercourse with my wife or use condom only. ? i am taking anti viral medicine now..when i realized i had an infection (5 days ago due to skin ulcer/lesion) i already had sex with my wife..will the infection pass onto her now as well ?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can have intercourse with wife in the absence of any recurrence or lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

We cannot rule out the possibility of your wife got infected with HSV 2 infection through your last contact. In women it usually remains asymptomatic or unnoticed due to their anatomical situation.

During the recurrence avoid intercourse with your wife. There is a possibility of infection few days before and after a recurrence due to viral shedding.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist