What causes small spots on penile shaft?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Penis Problems
Question: Hi, i have had these small spots appear on my penile shaft. They do not itch and are not painful in anyway, the open one in the photo is one i tried to pop, they have never blistered and first showed up 3-4 weeks ago. Sometimes they seem to fade but other times seem more noticable. Start as what seems small pimples then fade into dry patches of skin.. Currently bathing in salt water. They are already starting to heal just leaving shiny red marks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have multiple Sebaceous Cysts over shaft of the penis .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have multiple Sebaceous Cysts over shaft of the pens .

The penile skin is rich in sebaceous glands and hence prone to get more sebaceous cyst due to accumulation of sebum beneath the skin. Normally they fade away without treatment however they need to be treated if increase in size or get infected.

Please consult qualified General Surgeon for clinical evaluation and further treatment. If needed some of them which are bigger may need to get excised in Toto (Completely along with the sac).

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 minutes later
Thanks for ansewring my question. I feel glad that it is nothing sexually transmitted. But may i ask why after healing the skin has gone dry and red and why are others coming up while others are healing?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is the part of healing process.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

The skin at the site of cyst becomes dry and red as it does happen in acne but it gets normalized within few weeks .

Since there are multiple glans in penile in penile skin it is natural to develop new one

Ensure to observe proper personal hygiene by cleaning genitals twice with waarm water .

Do not use any talcum powder over genital skin as it blocks the opening of ducts of these glands and leads to developing cysts.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Is it possible to be caused by touching with dirty hands due to working in dusty and dirty enviroment?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unhygienic conditions of the genital can lead to get these cysts

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .Unhygienic conditions of genitals can cause to develop these cysts.

Ensure to maintain proper genital hygiene by washing genitals with warm water twice daily .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar