What causes small red spots on the roof of mouth and coughing?
Thanks for posting the query. I do understand you concern; do not worry, I will try my best to help you with this problem.
The description given by you, seems to be related to viral pharyngitis, secondary to Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. I doubt, any allergic reaction. The reddish petechial rashes noticed on the palate are commonly noticed during viral infection, because of inflammation.
Do not worry! This is a viral infection, which is self-limiting. My suggestions to you are:
1. To drink plenty of warm water.
2. Use povidone iodine spray or mouth gargles to reduce the viral load in the oral cavity.
3. Do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, the congestion will reduce, so the phlegm and cough.
4. Use saline nasal spray as frequently as possible, this will reduce the cough and irritation in the throat.
5. Try taking OTC pain killers such as Ibuprofen or paracetamol.
If the above symptoms do not subside with in 3-4 days, consider visiting your doctor again, you may require antibiotics.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itchy roof of mouth
- What causes small hole in roof of mouth
- What causes numbness on roof of mouth
- What causes lumps on the roof of the mouth
- Cause of red patch roof of mouth
- What causes a metallic taste in the mouth after coughing
- Itching in the roof of the mouth what are the causes
- What causes red streaks on roof of mouth
- What causes irritation roof mouth
- What causes red spots on the top of your mouth