What causes small red spot on my left breast beside the nipple on the areola?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Recently developed a very small red spot on my left breast beside the nipple on the areola. At first it was just red, sore, and a little bit shiny, I went to my obgyn who said he thought it was yeast and prescribed Nystatin (sp?) cream for me. I used the cream and although the small spot healed in its original place, it ended up spreading to different areas of my areola. Now the skin almost looks like a burn. It is very flaky and peeling, but there is no pain (just a little sensitivity) no build up, or discharge. Since this was just the one nipple, my obgyn referred me to my dermagtologist for a punch biospy to rule out Paget's disease of the breast. I've read that scientists believe paget cells may come to the surface through milk ducts. I have been breastfeeding for 5 months. Still waiting for the results of my biopsy but i'm wondering how likely the chances are that this is Pagets, and if not, what else could it possibly be?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Less likely to be Paget's

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
Page's disease usually starts at the nipple and spreads to the areola. In your case it didn't start at the nipple and I am optimistic that the biopsy will exclude Paget's.
Eczema and candidiasis are more likely.

Wish you good health.
'