What causes small red bumps on fingers and palms after a chemotherapy regime?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Cancer
Question: I recently finished a regime of chemotherapy for breast cancer. I received 10 doses of Paclo-taxol, I.V. weakly. During that time I developed small red bumps on my fingers and palms. They were very tender to the touch. Also, I developed periphial neuropathy which affected my feet, hands, and pelvic area. I have been off chemo for 30 days. I still have these side effects and the red bumps are spreading to my feet, and my thighs. My hands are so tender it is difficult to do normal things such as open jars, pick up small objects, and turn doors knobs. My oncologist does not have any answers. Can you help explain these bumps?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
these may be a reaction to the chemo

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Going by your description, these red bumps appear to a skin reaction to the chemo. Sometimes takes long time to disappear after completing chemo. Courses of oral antihistaminics and topical steroids usually help.

The pain and numbness of fingers are likely due to neuropathy. Unfortunately there is no medicine to reverse the neuropathy, we just have to wait for natural recovery. But there are medicines like pregabalin or amitryptilline, which can control the symptoms for the time being.

You can discuss with your oncologist regarding these options.

Hope this helps.