What causes small red bump on tip of penis?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Men's Health
Question: Yesterday I noticed a single small red bump on the tip of my penis and am clueless as to what it could be. I have been doing all sorts of research and have come to the conclusion that it is the result of irritation. The bump does not itch or burn. It is sensitive to the touch but not any more so than I would expect because of its location. Any help would be wonderful.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be due to inflammation of Periurethral Gland.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts and photographs that you have posted it appears that you have a bump over tip of the penis which is mostly due to inflammation of Periurethral gland located around meatus.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Did you have unprotected sex before you noticed this bump.?

This is due to bacterial infection of the mucus gland located around external urinary meatus.

You need to take broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefexine along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily.

Ensure to wash your genitals with warm water twice daily

Do not worry, It will get cured within a week.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
I will post a few more details and images so that you can further diagnos my problem.

I had unprotected sex with two partners over the course of the last month. The first partner was three weeks ago and only a one time thing. The second partner and I have been having mildly rough unprotected sex for the past week and a half. I noticed this problem the morning after I had last had unprotected sex.

After close examination it seems to me that there might have initially been a tiny cut or tear that became infected and inflammed. It looks like a tiny pus/blood scab formed around the top of the bump.

It is day two since I first spotted the bump and i have not experienced any burning, itching, or discharge.

Is this considered an STD? If it is an STD which partner could I have recieved this from.Can this spread to my partner? Should I wait until it goes away to continue having sex? Can I still have protected sex? What sort of treatment do you reccomend?

If you zoom in you can see an inner brownish scab that is surrounded by circular inflamed tissue. The center feels hard to the touch. Like a scab.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is unlikely to be STD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback.
Considering the absence of any discharge and urinary symptoms it is unlikely to be STD.

It is difficult to predict which partner you got this infection from.

It will take one week to get cured till then you have to avoid any sexual encounter and even unprotected sex as there is risk of getting it spread further.

Start taking antibiotics like Cefexime and anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Thank you so much for your help. Are those medications over the counter? Would amoxicillin or cefzil work in place of those if they are perscription?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These drugs are available only on prescription

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.These are scheduled drugs and are available only on prescription.

You can take Amoxicilin in place of Cefexime.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Thank you so much for your help. You have really put me at ease. What dosage of amoxicillin should I take? I am a 130 lb 19 year old male with no medication allergies.

Also is ibuprophen a good enough anti inflammatory medication
?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen can be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
You can take Amoxicillin and Ibuprofen twice daily.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.