What causes small pea sized hole at the site of metal removal from wrist?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a type 2 diabetic, and I fell at a local hospital, and got a small piece of metal in my wrist (I had taken my son to be treated, and slipped and fell on the way out). I was able to remove the metal after 2 days, no blood, but was relieved that this was removed, as I used a safety pin, which I cauterized with heat and alcohol. After 2 days of putting antiseptic creme and ointment like neosporin on it and boiling it out with peroxide, there is a pea sized hole and a raised ridge around it. Is this something that maybe can be treated at home or should see a doctor soon??
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sounds like a infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your query.
I think I would be able to help you.
The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of a possible infection spread locally.
I have looked at the pictures that you have mentioned.
It is possible that you will develop infection easily.
I suggest that you meet a doctor there for a course of antibiotics, injection tetanus toxoid and drainage if necessary.
Monitoring sugars regularly to maintain a tight control is also needed.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information helps you. Please feel free to contact us for more information. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist