What causes small painless skin tag on tongue?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a small painless flap of skin that is attached close to the back of my tongue. It does not hurt nor do I have any pain in my tongue. It is the same color as the other tissues around the back of my tongue. It seems like the other side of my tongue has a similar flap. What is this?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
This should be a normal structure.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Human anatomy is complex and it is common for people to see normal structures for the first time when they seek medical opinion.

2. Upload a close-up image or get a throat examination and a VL'Scopy (Videolaryngoscopy) done. This will settle the issue.

3. The most common structures in the region of the back of the tongue that I see in patients with similar questions are the circumvallate papillae of the tongue, the epiglottis and it's folds, the tonsil and tonsil pillars and so on.

4. Since this fold of tissue is present on both sides without symptoms, ir should be a normal structure.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj