Owl Image

Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes small growths behind last molar on right side of jaw?

Dentist
Question
Hello, I've had these small "lumps" on the gum directly behind the last molar on the right side of my jaw for years. I never really paid any mind since they hadn't grown and my doctor said it was nothing to be concerned about but these last few days the are between my upper and lower jaw has been hurting and It's close to where those growths are not to mention the gum is swollen . They are very small and are a little hard but have the same color as the rest of my gums however I think they may be getting bigger. They almost look like those small pieces of flesh that some people have underneath their tongue. I always figured since I also have that that it was normal. Should I be concerned about them being on my gum?
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be concerne, go for biopsy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

In my opinion, since this growth is increasing so you need to take it seriously & go for biopsy. It could be some benign lesion and to rule out you need to go for biopsy.
Consult an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for further opinion.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra