What causes small extra flap of skin near anus?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi for about 6/7 months I have had a very small extra flap of skin near my anus. I asked my mom and she passed it off as a hemmeriod. I'm worried it could be a wart. Please help! In May 2015 I have a normal pap and was clear from everything. The bump developed around July after I had been on birth control for 2 months. Could this just be a skin tag, it's sort of a yellow/skin color. PLEASE LOOK AT PICTURE BEFORE RESPONDING
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a wart clinically

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Warts are benign proliferations of skin and mucosa caused due to human papillomavirus. Currently, more than 100 types of HPV have been identified. They may occur at any site.

However based on the images that you uploaded, it's not a wart.

Kindly answer the following to comment further

Does the area hurt with or without passing stool or straining
Does the flap bleed
Is there any purulent discharge from the area

wishing you best of health

Thanks

Dr M.S Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 minutes later
Can I happen to ask why you say it is not a wart? It looks like a lot of the images I have seen on the Internet. I've obviously googled a lot, and scared myself a lot. There is no pain, blood, or discharge. I did last week have blood in my stool which my sister who is an RN attributed to possibly being an intern hemmeriod. Would this flap of skin come from that? If not what could it be ? Thanks you for the quick response !
Hello, please answer. Why would you not believe this is an anal wart. Really need help and advice. What do you think it would be. Sometimes j do have trouble passing my stools but not that often. Just need to know what is going on with my body. Please help!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Remember, in clinical setting, internal hemorrhoids do bleed but aren't usually painful or itchy. External hemorrhoids don't bleed as much but are painful and itchy.

Based on close inspection of the images and having seen previous cases of warts, upon naked eye view of the images, the probability of warts is very low. The possible causes in this case are anal fissure, perianal abscess and fistulation are the likely causes.

You need to be examined by a general surgeon to do a digital rectal exam and proctoscopic exam to determine the cause.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil