What causes small cysts on scalp?

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a 54 year old male that has developed a large and smaller cyst on the crown of my head. Does not hurt, but is very annoying and has grown a bit in the last year. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is not of concern.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query and u can understand your concern.

Small cysts on scalp are pretty common.Usually they are benign cysts that start as a small lump and grow over a period of several years under the skin.They usually are movable and smooth.
It would be of concern a cyst that appears and increases in size just over few months.

I don't think you have something to worry about.If the cysts have appeared years ago and only increased a bit i,you have nothing to worry about.It is a benign cyst ,most likely an epidermoid cyst.

If this causes discomfort ,you should consult your physician because it can be safely removed through a minor surgery.
If it doesn't bother you ,just observe it to see if it increases in size quickly.

Hope it helps.
Feel free to ask if you have any other question or doubts to clarify.I would be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati