• question-icon

What causes small circular open wound on buttocks fold?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: On January I had a small circular open wound in my buttocks fold, the doctor sent a cream that worked for a few days but then it came back worsened. I have no insurance for now and It is bigger. It looks more like a line than a circle, white hard edges with redness around it and inside of it (I actually think the wound is open still) it feels like it burns when water runs down while I shower and it is also made worst after I exercise with the butt cheeks rubbing on each other and the the open wound. I've been using baseline and baby powder but the thing keeps coming back.
The white inside the wound is baby powder could not remove because it burns bad when I try to clean
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be pilonidal cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The wound you ca see is most likely the opening of the pilonidal cyst. This condition is caused by an ingrown hair. Once the hair starts to grow inside the tissues, it irritates them. This causes cyst formation. Sooner or later such cyst gets infected and became an abscess. This gives swelling, pain and white discharge. It can come and go.

The only treatment for the cyst is its removal by a surgeon. Its not urgent, but sooner or later you will have to have it removed.

Please consult general surgeon.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
The white inside is baby powder, after shower looks red and there is no discharge
It is actually an open wound with no discharge more like a baby rash with open skin or a fongus
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The discharge can appear in the future.

Detailed Answer:
I do know its a powder. Thats what you have mentioned above. The discharge which I was talking about does not have to be present at the moment. It just may appear in the future.
It can be a fungal infection. However this usually looks much different and is itchy. As I do know, you do not have itching there.
Moreover, you have tried some creams already without permanent improvement.

Try to palpate the deeper tissues around the wound. If you feel any hardness there, this is not a superficial issue and makes pilonidal cyst probable.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon