What causes slurred speech while on Cephalexin?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife started cephalexin recently. After a few days her speech became slurred and she spoke and acted as if she had a stroke. He blood pressure remains stable during this. She is barely coherent though. Can this be one of the side effects and if so what do we do to clear up the speech and memory problems?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cephalexin side effect

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
This is not a side effect of Cephalexin.
It is likely that your wife had a stroke in the 'silent area' of the brain.
A CT or MRI brain would confirm that.
Keep the blood pressure around 140 mm systolic and not lower.
Is she on aspirin?
If it is an ischemic stroke, using Ginkgobiloba after it stabilizes might help.

Do get back to me with further queries