What causes slow thought process and balance issues after an injury?

Question
Last Thursday as I was watering the lawn I tripped over the hose and fell backwards. I went over two sets of our pavers and landed on my back. I am pretty bruised up but my concern is, my equalibrium has been a concern. When I walk I seem to veer to the left. Also, my thought process is mighty slow when I answer a
question or when I initiate a question to someone I am talking to? What do you think?
Posted Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to investigate: ?? due to fall or age-related

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone though your query and would like you to know that I am here to help.

You have not reported any injuries to the head or surrounding structures. The symptoms described by you could have resulted from a head injury, but as you have not experienced one, these could also possibly be age-related. You have also not mentioned any current ailments or diagnosed conditions. But you seem to have experienced a sudden onset of these symptoms, mostly after the fall, which is why I would recommend the following:
-A neurological examination to be conducted by a doctor (where your speech, reflexes, pupillary response, etc; will be observed)
-CT scan of the head (also to check on vestibular organs)
-ENT examination
-Lipid profile
-Blood coagulation profile

These investigations would not only help us find any injury that might have resulted from the fall, but also the cause (if not related to the fall) for your symptoms. Some age-related degeneration in the brain can be considered normal as you are 61 years old ma'am, but other than this anything observed will be considered abnormal.

For now, stay calm and schedule an appointment with your doctor to reach the core of the problem. It is difficult to pin-point the cause for your symptoms right now ma'am, which is why I choose to go about the investigations and have not commented on the cause as asked by you.

Please do go about the above mentioned investigations, and keep me in the loop with the results and also what your doctor informs you. I shall further guide you from there ma'am.

Best wishes.