What causes slow heart rate and swollen feet?
Amlodipine and atenolol side effects...
Hi my dear,
I have gone through your medical history and understood your concerns.
The medications you are taking make me think that you have multiple cardio-vascular issues including heart failure.
Having a pulse rate between 50 or 48 is not related to Irbesartan, but to atenolol. Therefore, if I was your caring doctor would reduce the dose of atenolol.
Next, you are reporting to have swollen feet. At the same time, you are taking amlodipine 5 mg. Here is one of the causes to swollen feet: amlodipine. Please bare in mind that use of calcium-blocker drugs such as amlodipine is associated with swollen feet. You can report this to your caring doctor to change therapy accordingly.
Another causes for swollen feet include:
- heart failure (in advanced stages)
- kidney problems
- blockage of leg's blood vessels
Therefore, apart consulting with cardiologist regarding the issues I have mentioned earlier, you should run:
- cardiac tests (ECG, cardiac echo, holter monitoring) to evaluate the status of your heart further
- urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound to exclude kidney problems
- echo Doppler of blood vessels in the legs to exclude related issues
I also advise to keep your feet raised where-ever you can.
Hope it answered to your queries! Do write me back if you have further questions!
Atenolol to be reduced to 50;amlodipine to stop...
Thank you for following up.
If I was your caring doctor would reduce the dose of atenolol from 100 mg/day to 50 mg/daily (only in the morning).
With regards to amlodipine, yes, you should stop using it. But first need to consult with your cardiologist about my suggests and do not make any action on your own.
In this cases, amlodipine is stopped only if confirmed that it is the cause of swollen feet (should rule out the other causes as mentioned earlier).
All the best!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could be the cause of strange heart rate
- Menstrual cycle causing slow heart rate
- What causes a headache dizziness and racing heart rate
- Can low potassium cause a slow heart rate
- What causes lower heart rate
- What causes elevated heart rate
- Can a slow heart rate cause headache
- What causes high bp and slow heart rate
- What is the cause of changing heart rate
- What causes accelerated heart rate