What causes slow heart rate and anxiety?

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: To all cardiologists out there I've always had a slow heart rate of less than 60 when lying down usually it ranges from 45 to 60 the lowest heart rate I got using my blood pressure cuff was 42. I don't pass out I don't feel dizzy and my heart rate is normal when standing up. it only happens when I'm at rest. I currently suffer from anxiety disorder which is a big pain in the butt I take 3 meds for it paxil , clonidine and clonazepam. I know that clonidine lowers your heart rate but even before these meds I'd noticed that my heart has always beaten really slowly at rest. since anxiety started last year and I didn't really know what was going on I started going to the E.R nonstop and I think I've had more than 50 ekgs along with 2 ECOs 2 stress tests and a heart monitor put on me for 24 hours to monitor my heart. should I worry about that or is it something normal for my body I got examined in XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to worry, all normal parameters

Detailed Answer:
Greetings and thank you for your question. Welcome to Health Care Magic. I understand your concern.

I will try to explain some things about the human cardiac functioning. In the beginning, I would like to say that I carefully read your query and you have nothing to be worried about.

All parameters that are, in one way or another, subject to changes during a day, are variable. In young people, such as yourself, who are active in various ways, the heart rate tends to slow down during evening hours, pre-sleep and during rest. This is because of the activity of the parasympathetic tone which "calms down" the body. Although it is written that the normal heart rate varies between 60 and 100, this is only the standardized norm for the world population. Thus, it is accepted that in the situations I mentioned above, the heart rate to go down to 48 beats per minute for every person. In young people, the rate of 40 is accepted as normal during rest, and down to 35 during sleep. I would advise you that you have nothing to be worried about. Also, you have "a ton" of medical documents that are proof that your heart is fine. This is all as a result of your anxiety which, as I can conclude, produces panic attacks.

I will conclude my opinion and insight by saying that your heart is fine and there is nothing organically wrong with you.

I hope you find my answer helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Hi doctor Meriton thanks for answering my question I do have another question about my bp. As mentioned before I have terrible anxiety and I take meds for it. I take 30 of the paxil in the am along with 0.1 of clonidine and .5 of the clonazepam. growing up I had never had any problems with my BP and doctors tell me all the time that it is anxiety and I do believe it is , but my bp has never been the same after these meds. A while ago I was still able to get a reading of 128/80 on a good day , but now my bp ranges from 130/80-160/90 I usually get 160/90 when I'm anxious , but usually it stays between 136/76-140/80 during the day and it really upsets me because an ideal BP would be 120/80. as mentioned before I'm 6,2 and I weigh around 215-220 pounds I'm not fat but I got a belly and I eat very healthy especially after my panic attacks it made me more concerned about my health. I've never smoked , I've never drunk , or done drugs , and I also don't eat red meat I do everything to keep my heart healthy by eating salmon , broccolis , and other vegetables. when I'm sleeping my blood pressure can go down to 128/70 or 130/80 , but sometimes I wake up and it's 150/90. that left number is always the one on the rise and the right one always stay the normal. Now my question is I've been having these ups and downs ever since anxiety started and I don't know if it's normal for my size or if it could do me some harm. Could you please tell me if that can be dangerous to me or not ?
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
No danger

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and welcome back.

It is totally normal for an individual to have fluctuating blood pressure. Some activities or situations, such as, for instance, vigorous physical activity or high levels of psychological stress, are accompanied with high levels of adrenalin in the circulation. Adrenalin, among the myriad of effects, constricts the blood vessels, and the high figures of blood pressure result. No need to be worried about, this is merely the normal and expected response of the organism and the heart.

I hope my follow-up is helpful. If you do not have other questions, close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana