What causes slight tingling sound in the ear?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am having slight tingling sound in right ear. I Dont have any headache and my bp is also normal. it is now 5 days since this started.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The slight tingling sound is known as Tinnitus.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The slight tingling sound is known as Tinnitus.

2. Get your ears examined to rule out any ear wax which is one of the commonest causes of Tinnitus. Also rule out any perforation of the ear drum. You may also get middle ear pressure checked (Impedance Audiometry or Tympanometry). Also can you share your audiogram here?

3. The exact cause of Tinnitus is unknown. However one of the the agreed pathologies is damage to or loss of to hair cells in the inner ear. The role of the brain in the perception of Tinnitus also exists. For example, some people have been relieved of Tinnitus after a cerebral stroke, while some continue to hear it even after the Cochlear (Hearing) Nerve is cut.

4. What is your exposure to occupational noise and loud music / earphones / XXXXXXX phones? Exposure to loud noise is also a leading cause for tinnitus.

5. If your Tinnitus increases on clenching the teeth, it may require dental bite correction. I have noticed patients who have increased Tinnitus when they are stressed, have fluctuations of blood pressure, low hemoglobin, low blood sugar levels and so on.

6. There is no cause for worry. Tinnitus is not associated with serious disorders in over 99% cases. Tinnitus has a tremendous nuisance value. Almost all people at some point in their lives experience tinnitus.

7. Mild tinnitus (less than 1-3 on a scale of 1-10) requires no treatment.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later
how can I know that the sound is mild or not as the same is heard when I am in quiet environment while outside I only hear when I direct my attention to it.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Grading is done on a scale of 1 to 10.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you hear the sound only in a quiet surrounding and hear it outside only when you concentrate on it, then it is mild Tinnitus.

2. Mild Tinnitus may disturb you while falling asleep but not affect the sleep quality. It will not affect your daily life and you will tend to forget it's presence during activities.

3. I usually ask my patient to mark a number on a visual analog scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is the mildest and 10 is the most severe Tinnitus.

4. Let me know your score.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj