What causes slight swelling and redness after a cat bite?
500mg , 3 times daily or 875 mg twice daily
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The dose of amoxicillin would be 500mg tds (three times daily) or 875 mg bd (twice daily) so depends on strength that you have. It may work for you but in some cases this antibiotics is not strong enough.
You should also clean the area with an antiseptic 2 to 3 times daily.
The fact the the cat's shots are current is good, this should mean that you would not need the rabies vaccine.
It may not affect other aspects of treatment however.
(1)Though the tetanus was 4 yrs ago, you may still need an update because normally recommended if not given in previous year for this type of injury.
(2)if there is no improvement or worsening of symptoms then you need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
The wound may need to be incised and washed out, any dead tissue removed.
Alternative antibiotics may also be needed.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
1 tablet , 3 times a day
One tablet three times a day, every 8 hours
NO loading dose is normally used.
In terms of improvement, if this is going to occur then initial changes should be seen within 48 hours.
Please feel free to ask any other questions
a full 7 day course
You should take a full course, for 7 days.
Taking a full course would increase the chance of complete resolution. This may mean taking the medication even after most of the symptoms have resolved but this is best.
If anything else unclear , feel free to ask
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes redness in eyes and extreme swelling of lids
- What causes redness and swelling in toes
- What causes tenderness redness and swelling in the ear
- What causes swelling and redness in the area of sutures
- What causes swelling and redness in premium
- What could cause itching swelling and redness in a finger
- What could cause swelling redness and warm leg after artheroscopy
- What causes swelling and redness in the vagina
- What is causing pain swelling and red rashes in breast
- Testicular pain slight swelling on scrotum no redness cause