What causes slight discomfort in left side of chest?

Cardiologist
Question
Hello, I am a 32 year old male, I live in Zambia XXXXXXX One month ago I was diagnosed and treated for H-pilori and a hiatus hernia. I had a G-scope done and was put on triple therapy treatement. I was also found to have an iron overload, so the endocrinologist recommended I donate blood 3 times to bring my iron levels back down. The thing is I travelled to South XXXXXXX to have the medicals done, and upon my return to Zambia, after a week I went in to have my blood removed, what happened next is the reason I am concerned. The blood was removed whilst I was in a seating position and at a rate so fast, about 150ml was removed in 4 - 5 seconds. I went into vasovagal shock and was administered with a drip to help normalise me. the next day I went into shock again and was prescribed a sedative, the following day I travelled back to South XXXXXXX where I visited a specialist cardiologist and he said I have the heart of a 16 year old and all functions are good. I was put on two sustenance drips to try to normalise my nausea and anxiety. I was prescribed with "stressam" which is for stress and I returned home. Now the problem is I always have anxiety and my hands sometimes shake, I have avoided the consumption of anything that could cause high acidity in my stomach. I don't drink or smoke and I do not have any sugar in my tea / coffee - although I have since stopped any tea and coffee now, I exercise a lot and run three times a week, I considered myself to be very active, fit and healthy prior to this incident my pulse is about 54 beats per minute when I'm resting, my BP has always been 120/80 but now its around the 135/82 mark as of last night. The reason for my query is that Yesterday I felt a slight discomfort to the left of my left side chest, about 12pm, around 4pm I felt a warm sensation as if someone poured warm water over me on the same side and immediately went to see a doctor at a nearby hospital. they done an ecg on me and said my heart is ok, they put me on anti acids and off i went. This morning I can still feel a tight feeling around the left chest area and I took an amino called L-arginine which helps with relaxing the veins and improving blood flow as its a faso dilator, i feel a little better now but I would like to know if you could help explain the reason behind this warm sensation i felt. its as if I have a conscious feeling over that area constantly and I'm not sure if its stress related, anxiety or due to the shock I had been through. Your kind response would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
Typical anginal chest pain occurs behind breastbone or all over chest, feel more as a heaviness and may radiate to arms, umbilicus or lower jaw. It will come on stress/ exercise/ exertion and disappears with rest/ nitrates. It may be associated with sweating/ nausea or breathlessness. A pain which lasts for less than a minute, can be elicited by touch or pressure, precipitated by cough, particular posture or movement, is not likely to be anginal.
A sensation of pouring of warm water on left side of chest which lasts for less than a minute, at rest but not exacerbated by exercise is not likely to be anginal. Historically it does not favor angina. A normal ECG at same time when that sensation is taking place is reassuring. If you have undergone stress test/ TMT/ stress ECHO recently and it was normal, it is again reassuring, given atypical nature of pain. However if you have typical features, or persistent symptoms do consult your cardiologist.
Atypical symptoms have many reasons. Anxiety, gastric disturbance, neuronal, muscular or lung disorder may cause this. An examination will help.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: What causes slight discomfort in left side of chest? 33 minutes later
Hello doctor. I have acidity and a lot of anxiety as well. My wife is due to deliver our sedond bourne next week and it coukd be anxiety due to that. My main concern is the gastric dissorders i have experienced espcially afyer diagnosed with h-pilori about 3 weeks ago. Would you able to reccomend something i can do to eliviate the anxiety and help me relax ? Or can i consult a gastro specialist over te same? The problem with where i live is that the medical facilities are very dire and there is no real access to specialists. Only general doctors. Thanks for the help. XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. For H pylori and gastric problems you must consult gastroenterologist.
2. The kind of sensation you had does not characteristically belong to stomach. I am not a proponent of pharamacotherapy for anxiety. You must meditate, do relaxation exercises and have faith in your God. This helps overcoming anxieties and fear. A professional clinical psychologist will help more.
However if at anytime you feel typical symptoms or botheration is constant and troublesome, do consult your physician. Best way to rule out such symptoms as being heart related, is to undergo a stress test and demonstrate that symptoms do not occur during stress testing. However that should be done only after consulting your cardiologist.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: What causes slight discomfort in left side of chest? 1 hour later
Hello doctor. Thank you for your quick response. I have had ecg stress test done by cardiologist and he said everything was good. The exact terminology i do not have but a sonogram was done or cross sectional examination of my heart was conducted. The comment that ivividly remember is that he said i have the heart of a 16 year old. Which to me is reassuring that my cardiovascular system is good. My only concerns were the slight feelings i have had recently. I will try and relax and seek alternative therapy for stress related anxiety to help me relax. Thank you very much. Sincerely. XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
welcome sir

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
You are welcome. But do seek your doctors opinion if you ever feel persistent or bothersome or typical symptoms.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder