Owl Image

What causes sleeplessness when there is no thyroid problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, This is for my wife who is having sleeplessness problems. She is having this since about 9 months. She can hardly sleep for about 3-4 hours in the night. She does not sleep during daytime. No thyroid problems.
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try sedative antidepressant

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

If she has had problem of insomnia, in that case, either she can try some benzodiazepine or sedative antidepressant. At age of 32, i would not suggest her to use benzodiazepine due to their dependence potential. She can try some sedative antidepressant like mirtazapine or trazodone. It would help her to get sound sleep and maintain mental balance. It does not have dependence potential and with time, she would able to control or stop the dose. Rest, you can discuss with your psychiatrist.

In case, you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: What causes sleeplessness when there is no thyroid problem? 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
What dosage(mg and number of times per day) is recommended for mirtazapine and trazodone?

Thanks'n Regards
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mirtazapine 7.5mg or trazodone 50mg

Detailed Answer:
Hi

She can either take mirtazapine 7.5 mg or trazodone 50 mg at night. That would help to get sound sleep.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist