What causes sleeping disorder in a patient with non-verbal learning disorder?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Should there be sleeping disorders associated with non-verbal learning disorder?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes sleep disturbances and learning disorders are related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

In a lot of children with sleep problems have problems in learning. This has been proved by a lot of studies. A lot of children with learning disorder have anxiety and this anxiety could be one cause of poor sleep in your child. Lack of sleep further deteriorates anxiety and cause concentration issues which further results in learning problems. If he is not able to sleep properly in night then discuss with his doctor for proper re-evaluation.

Medicines like low dose non benzodiazepine drugs like Ramelteon can be tried. This will help to regulate the sleep cycle and his sleep will improve. For persistent anxiety SSRI like Fluoxetine in low dose can be used. Reduction of anxiety will help to improve sleep too. Talk to his doctor for details of medicines and prescription.

Thanks. If you have more doubts please ask again. Take care