What causes sleepiness after taking Modafinil?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Modafinil as awake
/ puts me to sleep. I thought it was to help keep awake
Answered by Dr. Divakara 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Primary cause has to be taken care of.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P

Mofafinil may cause sleepiness but it won't make the person using it to sleep more .

It does keep the person awake , but the primary cause of sleepiness for which you started Modafinil should also be taken care of.

Hence kindly let me know for what purpose you started Modafinil and what dose you are taking it.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 18 hours later
I have fatigue. I passed out while driving. Have undergone sleep studies and other studies. No cause for fatigue or lapsed consciousness. Dose is 200 mg.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Divide the dose of Modafinil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Apart from one episode of passing out while driving , was there any other episode of pass out or do you feel excess sleepy during day times .

Have any other tests apart from sleep studies been done on you. If yes kindly upload the reports.

If not kindly get the following tests done and revert back with reports.

Complete Hemogram, serum vitamin B12 levels , serum vitamin D3 levels, TSH , serum creatinine and 2D Echo.

Regarding the dose of Modafinil are you taking 200mg at a time or it is divided to 100mg two times a day.

I recommend you take 100mg in morning and 100mg at noon and see if it makes any difference.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad