What Causes Skipping Heart Beats?
irregular heartbeat and my heart isn't skipping beats. Sometimes it would skip 15 numbers. So why do you think my pulse is skipping numbers like that and do you think I have an irregular heartbeat because the ER doctor said I didn't have one?
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic!
Regarding your concern, I would explain that a pulse oxymeter is not the best tool to monitor your heart rhythm as it is based on the pulse wave.
This is because its measurements are based on the mean values of the latests 5 or 10 beats and the beats are calculated only on those detected by the device. But in case of low blood flow to the fingers ( like in vessel constriction, cold weather, anxiety etc) it is not able to catch all the beats.
A resting ECG or a heart monitoring ( like that one in the ER) are the best tools for the heart rhythm, which help also exclude a cardiac arrhythmia.
Coming to this point, if you have persistent symptoms like shortness of breath, palpitations, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for some tests:
- a cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart function and structure
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm for a prolonged time and investigate for cardiac arrhythmia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- complete blood count for anemia.
Hope to have been helpful!