What causes skipped heart beats?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My heart skipped a beat or 2 & I felt like I was going to pass out - like no blood was going to my head. Is that something to worry about? It's happened about 3 times in the past few months.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend performing some tests:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Your symptoms seem to be related to a cardiac arrhythmia.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a cardiac ultrasound and a resting ECG to examine your heart function and structure
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during a prolonged time and investigate for possible arrhythmia
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri