What causes skipped heart beats with normal heart check up?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 4 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hello
I asked a question recently about pvcs and pacs. I started having them as a teenager and they have continued (and gotten worse) as an adult ( I'm 30 now). I've had a full work-up (recently) and my heart is structurally normal. my question is this: about 1-2x per month I get an episode where the skipped beat is very bad. today, for instance I had a pause that lasted 3 seconds. I can feel when there's a skip, checked my pulse and felt nothing for that 3 second period (I had a clock right in front of me). I also felt very strange during that period; a feeling that blood was rushing to my head. I got worried, so I started coughing thinking that would help start it again. when the beats started again, they were fast for about a minute. does this sound like a typical skipped beat and should I go get a second opinion? I called my cardiologist who said he thinks they are just the pauses between pvcs that I am feeling. thanks
(I've tried posting this question twice, but it doesn't show up. Sorry for the duplicate if it shows on your end)
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Holter monitoring

Detailed Answer:

A 3 second pause is very rare but not impossible. This could be a escape rhythm seen in PVCs. The duration may not increase more than this but the risk of getting it frequently may be more if untreated.

I believe there us need for detailed investigation of the same. Heart normal structurally does not exclude conduction defects. You may have to get a Holter monitoring done and get it analysed by a cardiologist to plan a suitable management.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.