What causes skin thickness around the bruising on the breast post an injury?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Lump
Question: I was seen in the ER after an auto accident on 12/14 and the air bags deployed. I was the driver and had a lot of bruising to my right breast. They did several X-rays that were negative, so I was released. I have been applying Arnica Gel to the breast and other small bruises on my wrists. Today I noticed a thickness in the original area of discomfort the day of the accident. I am curious if this is a residual effect of the accident. The bruising is getting less each day.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks to be sequel - residual effect as you have mentioned.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Since your accident occurred about 9 day ago with bruising, the area affected will go through different stages of healing.
The healing in area with more fat will be bit different and feeling of hardness thus can be due to fat necrosis changes and starting of fibrosis in the healing area.
Hence nothing much to worry unless there are any other signs like redness, pain, tenderness and so on.
This seems to be sequel.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask for any further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards and wishing you an early uneventful recovery.