What causes skin tag on inside of cheek?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My infant 6 weeks old has what looks like a skin tag on the inside of his left cheek. I noticed it about 2 weeks ago when he was crying and I saw it at just the right angle to notice and further investigate. It looks like the rest of the mucosa in his mouth and doesn't seem to bother him at all. Breastfeeding like a champ. I'm thinking he will need it removed later as teeth come in but right now he's too young for surgery. Any reasons I should be worried?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Any tag at this age would be most likely benign and not a reason for worries or concerns. I will suggest at this time that you upload an image for review. However, as this doesn’t seem to disturb him in any way, there is no need to seek for any invasive medical intervention such as surgery at this time. Sit back, relaxed and only show this to his pediatrician on a scheduled visit as there is no need for an early visit just for this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 minutes later
Thank you. Thats what my instincts were telling me just wanted another opinion. He was born at home and saw a dr at one week to check up and verify to obtain a birth certificate. Waiting on all that to go through so I can get insurance and follow up with a ped then. Thanks! Here is a pic .
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the picture!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed a picture and this is okay. There is no need to get worried at this time. Be calm and signal at your next visit. This is surely nothing too concerning.

I wish you well.