• question-icon

What causes skin rashes along with chesty cough?

Posted on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hey doctor,

I have just noticed this weird dotted skin rash which I will take a picture of on my right arm. It just came out of nowhere and I am not sure what it is. I have been sick with a cold for about a week and half and about half way through I started to feel better but then the day after I came down with this chesty cough which has dragged on to this day. In terms of tablets the only thing that I have been taking when it gets really bad is cold and flu tablets with Pandol, Phenyrline and Codeine and I have taken them in the past many times with no issues. I've also been having these Vitiam tablets too and have been having them for years when I get colds so I don't think they are related to the rash. What do you think it could be and should I be worried about it since my cold has dragged on so long? Just to note I have actually had this exact rash in the same spot too a few times before in the past whilst on antibitoics and another drug and the doctor thought that the drugs caused it so its weird that I have got it again without being on them?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly an insect bite

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image. I can see a linear dotted rash.

It seems like an insect bite to me. I suggest you to use a soothing cream or lotion e.g calamine lotion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
It doesnt itch or hurt at all I just noticed it when I woke up so could it still be an inscect bite?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Itching is subjective and its severity may vary individual to individual. Moreover the cold and flu medicines that you have been taking lately would have anyways reduced the symptoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist