What causes skin irritation, fever and severe headache while treating hypothyroidism?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello Doctor, I have hypo thyroid for last 4 years & am under medication of Thyrox 100 mg. Recently i had some skin irritation, my dermatologist prescribed to take dapson 100 mg which i got huge allergy in 20 days ended up with fever & high head ache. Now they have prescribed to take steroid (wysolone 10 mg) for 15 days, after taking this, Now i lost 5 kgs of weight & still am feeling drowsiness.
Seek your advice.
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please check your blood sugar and liver function

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. Thanks for posting question. I understand your concerns.

You might be having Stevens XXXXXXX syndrome or Toxic epidermal necrolysis which is a rare side effect of medication like Dapsone. The treatment of this condition is anti histamines (avil, cetrizine etc) and steroids. It usually takes some weeks or even months to recover back to normal.

Weight loss and tiredness while on steroids could be due to fluctuation in blood sugar values or deficiency of vitamin D and calcium. So check your blood sugars, blood routine and liver function tests.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.

Dr Ajish TP
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist