What causes skin irritation after regular use of ring?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello doctor, greetings !
male 29 yrs 67kg
I used to wear a XXXXXXX gemstone embedded in a gold ring on my little finger, within few days it started causing irritation and decaying of my skin.
Now, even though I stopped wearing it my skin is unable to heal on its own. below are the symptoms and images attached.
symptoms :
itching, reddishness, cracks, finger's skin hairs gone , little painful on applying pressure.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contact dermatitis, topical steroid & antibiotic cream, antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photographs.
You seem to be having contact dermatitis due to the metals in the ring.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a steroid antibiotic combination like halobetasol and fusidic acid cream on the affected area twice daily along with frequent and liberal application of a moisturising cream on the entire hand 2-3 times in a day for 2 weeks.
For itching you can take antihistaminic like tablet fexofenadine 180 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
thank you doctor! could you please tell me the cream name having combination of halobetasol and fusidic acid.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome!! halox F cream

Detailed Answer:
You can go for halox F cream.
If you find it difficult to get then apply a fucibet cream or clop G cream on the affected area twice daily.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy