Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes skin irritation after regular use of ring?

Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 3710 Questions

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello doctor, greetings !
male 29 yrs 67kg
I used to wear a XXXXXXX gemstone embedded in a gold ring on my little finger, within few days it started causing irritation and decaying of my skin.
Now, even though I stopped wearing it my skin is unable to heal on its own. below are the symptoms and images attached.
symptoms :
itching, reddishness, cracks, finger's skin hairs gone , little painful on applying pressure.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contact dermatitis, topical steroid & antibiotic cream, antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photographs.
You seem to be having contact dermatitis due to the metals in the ring.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a steroid antibiotic combination like halobetasol and fusidic acid cream on the affected area twice daily along with frequent and liberal application of a moisturising cream on the entire hand 2-3 times in a day for 2 weeks.
For itching you can take antihistaminic like tablet fexofenadine 180 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
thank you doctor! could you please tell me the cream name having combination of halobetasol and fusidic acid.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome!! halox F cream

Detailed Answer:
You can go for halox F cream.
If you find it difficult to get then apply a fucibet cream or clop G cream on the affected area twice daily.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Topical steroid

doctor1 MD

Hello, I think I have three spots of ring worn on my head. I have been to the Dr and he gave me Triamcinolone Acetonide Lotion, USP 0.1% ..... He did not call the spots ring worm, but the spots look like the picture on this sight. I have been using this medication since the first of the year and it is not helping ... I started with one spot and now have three. Help!

doctor1 MD

had a rash on legs, back , spots on arms, & now face. Dr.s have given me triamcinolone acetonide. last dr called it dry skin. I ve been working in medical field for over 30 years, ER, stab rm, etc. A pharmacist said I should not be on this steroid for over a few weeks, It has been 16 years. I why can .05 not be used on the face?

doctor1 MD

I have raised red patches that sometimes itch, sometimes don t. They are in various places on the whole body basically. The doctor gave me prednisone and told me to use cetaphil lotion all over twice a day. It all got better, then came back. I used an old steroid cream, triamcinolone acetonide and the cetaphil, and it went away again. Now have some again, plus skin reddens and goes away sometimes almost instantly in various places on my body. Any idea whats happening?

doctor1 MD

I have had a sore itchy anus for about 5 weeks, four weeks ago I found a patch on my breast which looked like an insect bite which went away but left a silvery shiny skin, two days ago I found exactly the same looking insect bit on my other breast. Now I have a rash round my anus and buttocks, the spot found on my breast is circular but flakey but only a rim round the site. I went to the doctor who subscribed a steroid ointment for the site and to use on my bottom, help I am so uncomfortable.

doctor1 MD

I was having itching in my areas involving touching such as thighs, underarms and it was causing sour smell, so i asked one of the doctors here and they said that i have XXXXXXX otch and prescribed me an anti fungal cream but couldnt find it. I...

doctor1 MD

I just noticed these spots under my armpit a few inches. It is slightly itchy. Its only here, no where else on body. I recently used a tanning bed ( I know it's bad, but wanted to get some color for vacation). I burned slightly in this area. Is it...

doctor1 MD

hi I was wondering if you could tell me if I have hpv . I sweat a lot down there and went to the doc about a week ago. when i got there the condition went down a lot and he told me it could be a heat rash . however it came back again though, I did...