What causes skin infections on the back as per the attached image?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

This is Gxxxxxxxxx.
I need your help, some infection at the back side of my head
kindly guide me how can I get rid of it. The picture of the wound is attached.

Thanks in advance.
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.

I can see a few dry scaly patches at the posterior hair line / back of your neck. It appears as a form of eczema rather than infection. I will keep a possibility of either seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis.

I suggest you to use a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo e.g Protar lotion. Use it on alternate days. Lather it well on to the affected area and allow it to act for 7-10minutes before rinsing it off.

In addition to this I suggest you to apply a topical lotion containing a potent topical steroid and salicylic acid e.g either Topisal 6% lotion or Topsor - S lotion (contains clobetasol propionate 0.05 % and salicylic acid 6%). Use twice daily (morning and night) on the affected area.
You may also take a tab cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.
These are prescription medications and I request you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.

Follow-up: What causes skin infections on the back as per the attached image? 11 hours later
I am using Nyle shampoo
could you please give me exact name of lotion or cream where I can buy from Medical stores
I saw you response on my colleague issues . you have resolved his problem

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi..

I suggest you use Protar lotion for shampoo, every alternate days and application of Topisal 6% lotion, twice daily, on the affected skin of the scalp.