What causes skin around stitches to turn black?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: The skin around my stitches is black. This was a very bad fall and a 7" laceration under the knee cap. I can't tell if this is dried blood or something worse. It is slightly warm. I have no feeling there so that's all I can distinguish.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, It might be collection of blood under skin. I would like to know the following, 1.when this injury happened ? ( how many days back ?) 2.Are you taking any oral antibiotics or applying anything locally? Please answer the above, this will guide me in helping you better. Waiting for your response. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 minutes later
1. 7 days ago 2. Yes keflex
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Here is the explanation for your condition. 1. Warmth at the wound site is due to inflammation, as the injury is recent. Its good you are taking antibiotic,soon you will be relieved. 2.Pigmentation is due to collection of hemosiderin ( blood pigment). This will take around 3 months to disappear. 3.Numbness is due to injury to cutaneous nerves. These nerves regenerate very slowly and will require at least an year to regenerate. Let me know if you have any other doubts, Thank you