Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

What causes silver discoloration when suffering from skin disease?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
I m suffering from skin dieses at skin is very dry , silvery colour, rough surface.i am going to sunlight so skin on redness comes dieses not only 1 part of body it is spread to all over.:| me dr. I m suffering from this diseases to last 18yr. I m very bored with my skin.i m go to any place all people look at me & everybody ask me... Oh..:-/ "ye tuje kya hua he"... :|
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ichthyosis; send more details Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome to the forum. I can very well understand your feelings and your sufferings, for any young female it is quite bothersome to get even a single skin problem. After getting your short query I can make out a possibility of "Ichthyosis". It is an inborn condition which is present right from the birth. It is basically due to dry skin condition due to various causes. to confirm the same and to rule out exact type Irequest you to kindly let me know some important points: 1. Is it present all over body or some of the parts are spared such as face, elbow or knee folds. 2. Have you felt more aggravation since you know the problem or you see bit of improvement. 3. What are the type of scales (the rough surface coming out from skin): are these small or large. Do you feel this rough skin is giving a stucked on apppearance. 4. Anybody in yur family having same type of complaint. 5. Have you visited a dermatologist or taken any treatment. I request you to kinldy send some pictures of teh areas so that I can help you better. regards, Dr Sanjay
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes silver discoloration when suffering from skin disease? 23 minutes later
Thanx doctor. There is nobody on mg family having this problem I hve visited some dermatologists. They are saying that it is psoriasis But wt o know is that psoriasis patients hve red dry skin But my skin have white dryness I haave to put coconut oil allover my body it helps me a little but if I dont do that my skin become so so so dry I also face itching on my skin and scales are dry and it is spread allover my body except my right leg. I will be very thank full to u if u an do smthing regarding abt it Dr rough surface is coming out from scales. And it is neither improoving nor becoming less. I have visited some dermatologists but they are unable to say anything properly. I have visite dr.s of bombay,nasik,gandhidham and bhuj also. I have tried ayurveda also but result is zero
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Not appear as psoriasis; go for biopsy Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for uploading the important information and most helpful of all a good resolution picture. Now after getting most of the information and correlating the facts with the picture, I can not make a diagnosis of Psoriasis in yourself. In the first query itself there were certain important points which were making negate possibility of psoriasis. And, the picture which I can see it confirms more about no possibility of psoriasis. There are certain points in favor of my opinion: 1. The condition is present since birth (18 years). 2. There is improvement of psoriasis after sun exposure. In yourself there is more aggravation. 3. Psoriasis manifest itself as well defined, sharply marginated red plaques with visible scales (mica like ) on the skin surface. In yourself I can see that the plaques are neither well marginated, nor these are red and the scales are fine one with rather rough surface of the plaques distributed in a pattern. So, all these things are not in favor of psoriasis. I can get that previously of dermatologist had diagnosed it as psoriasis but have you gone for any skin biopsy (a small piece of skin is taken by punch and then analyzed under microscope) to confirm the same. If you have gone for biopsy previously then let me know the report of the same. Even then I suggest you to go for biopsy of the skin again and get it analyzed from one of the best centers in India. In my opinion as I said preiosly it appears to an ichthyosiform disorder present since birth. TO confirm the same – biopsy is the ultimate answer. For the part of treatment – applying coconut oil is not the solution in your case. If I were your treating dermatologist then would have opted for a medium to high potency steroid with salicylic acid combination cream (such as dipsalic) to be applied over the plaques ( the areas of very rough surface). It is to be applied very thinly after a warm compression of affected part in water for 15- 20 minutes. Additionally a keratolytic cream and emollient cream combination to be applied for multiple times over affect ted areas. If itching is present then would have prescribed laoratadine (Dazit ) twice daily. Once the confirmation of diagnosis done then I would have opted for treatment accordingly. IF you have any further queries I will be glad to help. With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD ( Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor