What causes shoulder pain and shoulder and finger numbness?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I'm 48 yr old male, 5'8" 160 lbs fit and good health. One week ago I did some overhand chin ups (10,8,5) which was a new upper body routine for me. The next morning I had pain in both shoulders and soreness/mild numbness running down from shoulder to inner forearm and tingling/numbness in middle, ring a pinky fingers on both hands. I've been taking NSAID's and limiting upper body workouts. What have I done? :-)
Answered by Dr. Adrian Rawlinson 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neurapraxia

Detailed Answer:

This is most likely a Neurapraxia - a temporary dysfunction of the nerve. You may have strained the soft tissues (muscles, nerves, ligaments) due to your exercise regimen.

This is nothing to worry about - your symptoms will most likely resolve spontaneously in the next week or two. Just do cardio work and lower body weights only until it resolves.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Dr Rawlinson.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Adrian Rawlinson 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Rawlinson.
Answered by Dr. Adrian Rawlinson 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
End of consult.

Detailed Answer:
no problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Adrian Rawlinson

Sports Medicine Specialist