What causes shortness of breath?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Nov 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been experiencing a shortness of breath. 66 yrs old, female, do take blood thinners for clots after surgery three years ago, does not feel like clots in lung as previously. Np pain involved. overweight now.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Shortness of breath could be due to several reasons, in order to help you better I need a little more info. Please get back to me with the following

1. Is the breathlessness more while walking up a flight of stairs or walking long distance
2. Were you a smoker previously? If yes for how many years?
3. Any history of recurrent chest infection?
4. Do you have asthma ?

Please get back to me

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
Shortness of breath the same, no matter of movement, but worse with more movement.
Never smoked
No chest infections ever........except bronchitis a few times in 25 years.
No asthma ever
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac evaluation required

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back. I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, it was a busy day at the hospital.

From the history you have given me it looks like the breathlessness requires cardiac evaluation. I suggest you to get an ECHO done to know the functioning of the hear along with a thread mill test to know if adeqaute blood supply is going to the heart.
If that is normal I would like you to get a chest x ray done and also get yourself examined for bronchitis. However in bronchitis you will have wheezing and cough along with shortness of breath that is why it is a less likely cause.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me