What causes shortness of breath while treating upper respiratory infection?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband has been waking at night with shortness of breath and feeling hot all over but without a fever. He has just completed 3 weeks of antibiotics for an infection in a wound plus upper respiratory infection. These times of waking short of breath in the night have been happening for several months and they usually are accompanied by the hot flashes. Does any of this make sense or alert you to a particular condition?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
We should rule out sleep apnea in his case.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Midnight awakening with shortness of breath an hot flush are commonly seen with sleep apnea.
So we should first rule out sleep apnea in his case.
So consult sleep specialist and get done sleep study.
Please let me know
1. His weight
2. His height
3. Is he having hypertension or diabetes?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your husband. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 10 hours later
He is 57 years old and is 5'7" tall and weighs 250 pounds. I did not realize these were symptoms of sleep apnea but I have been telling him for years that he has sleep apnea. I have it and recognize the breathing patterns.

I will make him an appointment for a sleep study immediately.He does have high blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should immediately take an appointment for sleep study.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
According to his weight and height, his BMI is around 40 which is considered as very severe obesity.
So possibility of sleep apnea is high in his case.
So better to get done sleep study a soon as possible and start the treatment.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your husband. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Thank you. We have made an appointment with his PCP and will have the sleep study done within a few days.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Please close the conversation and rate my answer.

Detailed Answer:
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients. I am glad that my advice is heulping you.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wishing good health to your husband. Thanks.