What causes shortness of breath, vomiting and muscle spasms in hands?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been short of breath today < morning. Ibecame nauseaed about 5 I threw up twice andhave felt i have been very weak and had muscle spasams in my hands arms neck shoulders and upper back. I fell like i have a tight band around my upper chest running under my arms. I have a white substance in my mouth and white foam that is in my mouth no matter what i use to rinse, I really do not feel weLL i HAVE NEVER had a GROUP OF PROBLEMS LIKE THIS, TOOK ME AN HOUR TO TYPE THIS. NOT NORMAL
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I recommend going to the ER.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Your symptoms could be related to an infection or pulmonary edema.

The white foam in your mouth coupled with shortness of breath could be related to pulmonary edema or an upper airways infection.

What are your actual blood pressure values?

I recommend going to the ER as soon as possible for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a chest X ray study
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, kidney and liver function tests, blood electrolytes).

You may need emergent treatment.

Please let me know about your situation.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri