What causes shortness of breath, tightness in my chest and nail splintering?
Possible, cardiac ultrasound and clinical review m
Hi and thanks for the query,
Shortness of breath and nail splintering can be seen of course in bacterial endocarditis. However, this is a condition, usually occurring in persons with particular risk factors. These are generally very elderly and persons with diseases heart valves.
The first and utmost important step in the diagnosis, after a clinical suspicion is a cardiac ultrasound. This shall show for show the state of the valves. Shortness of breath sets in when the valves are too ill, when the muscles supporting the valves rupture and in case heart failure, a common complication of complication disease becomes present.
A proper clinical review is needed. It is very important to check for a heart murmur on auscultation. Its presence is very suggestive of sub acute endocarditis. Changes in the nail color and shape, coupled with abnormal bleeds are generally also seen.
It is only after a proper clinical examination, a cardiac ultrasound and at times a chest X ray to see any repercussions on the lungs that a diagnosis od sub acute endocarditis can be made.
Blood tests like a C reactive protein, a marker of acute bacterial inflammation and cultures could be very useful.
I suggest you book an appointment with an internist/cardiologist for a proper clinical review. It is possible you could have this condition, but the opinion of a doctor and exams are needed.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes shortness of breath pain in chest and headaches
- What causes shortness of breath with chest discomfort
- What causes shortness of breath
- What causes shortness of breath and wheezing
- What causes chest tightness and difficulty in breathing
- What is the cause and treatment for shortness of breath
- What causes chest pains tightness and abnormal breathing
- What causes shortness of breathfatigue and tightness across chest
- What causes chest heavinessthroat tightnesspalpitations and shortness of breath
- What causes severe short breath tight chest with shivering