What causes shortness of breath in a patient with mild bilateral bronchiectasis?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have mild bilateral bronchiectasis. My biggest problem is occasional shortness of breath. What causes the SOB? Is it mucus in the bronchial tubes? Just wanted to know so I can treat it with physiotherapy (Acapella).
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Obstructive Airway defect is the cause for your SOB.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Thanks for your query. I can understand your concern.

Bronchiectasis is obstructive Airway disease. It causes inflammation and bronchospasm. And most common cause for this is viral infection.

So better to get done adult pulmonary vaccines like influenza and pneumococcal vaccines to prevent recurrent respiratory tract infections.

You should also take inhaled bronchodilators (Formoterol or Salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (Budesonide or Fluticasone) to relieve bronchospasm.

Physiotherapy is also beneficial to remove secretions. Vaccines, inhaled treatment along with physiotherapy will help you more.

Hope I have solved your query.

Wish you good health.

Take care,
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad