What causes shortness of breath and palpitations after a shot of Kenalog?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Fri, 30 May 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My daughter had a shot of Kenalog-40 yesterday for allergies. She is having shortness of breath, blurred vision, palpitations, tight muscles and anxirty. Is there anything to counteract these side effects?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No panics, abundant fluids, reassurance, ER if nee

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is of utmost importance to ensure that your daughter was not experiencing any of these new symptoms, prior to receiving Kenalog-40 for allergy. This is important in order not to forget to investigate other possible conditions that could exacerbate or produce similar symptoms.

The drug was proper for management of allergies. Palpitations, muscle pain, blurred vision and some neurologic manifestations as in her case are for sure related to the administration of this drug.

The first thing to do is that she should take lots of fluids to help flush out the drug. You really need not bother much for this is not a severe adverse reaction, and symptoms would for sure fade out within the next 24 hours. No further administration of the drug, abundant intake of fluids and reassurance of your daughter for now are grossly very sufficient. You should however be watchful in case symptoms persist or aggravate. This might require then that you take her to an intensive care unit for other immune depressing drugs and oxygen therapy to be administered. Make her drink much for now, reassure her and watch keenly for the evolution of symptoms. This is not rare with the use of this drug and no panic for now.

Kind regards as I wish good health.

Dr Bain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T