What causes shortness of breath and irritation in the throat?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I was deep cleaning with bleach, I didn't dilute it at all and it wasn't very ventilated. this was for about 45 min. I developed a tight chest and scratchy throat. I've gotten fresh air got away from it, but just want to know if I should be worried or if it's a big deal..?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No big deal.

Detailed Answer:
The tight chest and scratchy throat is due to the irritation caused by the fumes on the mucosa. it can cause watering of the eyes also. You need to rinse your mouth and throat thoroughly with fresh water to remove the irritant. if there is no shortness of breath then there is no need to worry. Take rest and it will all subside in next few hours.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D