• question-icon

What causes shortness of breath and excessive sweating while climbing stairs?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: was just carrying something up steps and became very winded to the point of not being able to catch my breath also broke into a drenching sweat
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That load required more energy!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

This is normal and happens when we put in so much energy to accomplish a task. This is even more common in hot weather conditions. When this happens, take some rest and drink some water or juice to replace lost fluid. In future, preferable transport the load into smaller parcels and make multiple trips. This experience has no immediate or long term consequences. Be calm and continue normally.

Before I forget, this is in no way a heart attack.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me as you please.
Dr. Ivo Ditah