What causes shortness of breath after having strenous exercise?

Dr. Harshal Vora

Posted on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: If I do strenuous exercise, I get out of breath quickly. I m 60 and also have fatty liver, probably XXXXXXX Also I get fatigued easily after couple hours of work, but no pain anywhere in all this. My BP runs regularly around 150/90 and cholestoral is not high. Why my shortness of breath? Is it related to my slightly high BP?
Should I start taking meds for BP?
Answered by Dr. Harshal Vora 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly read my detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM.

Breathlessness and fatigue on exertion is related with uncontrolled hypertension during walking. It also may be related with early heart issues also.

My advice to you is -

1. We have already discussed in your previous question about blood pressure management and when to start medication.
- continue regular walking and healthy diet
- ask your doctor about ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and see how is your fluctuations.
- gradually your doctor will start small dosage of medication if required.

2.Do also your 2d echo (sonography of heart) which will give your doctor an idea regarding how is your heart pumping and the structure of heart.

Also I am advising you about trademill stress test - sometimes ischaemic heart disease (reduced blood supply to heart muscle) will be present only with breathlessness on exertion.
Your doctor will explain more about it.

3.kindly do your thyroid profile, kidney profile, blood sugar levels and sonography of kidneys as all of them individually can increase the blood pressure.

Don't worry. With My advice you will definitely get your answer and will live normal life.

I appreciate further questions anytime.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D