Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes shortening of my right arm as compared to the left arm?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 2238 Questions

Posted on Mon, 30 Jul 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 57 yo and when I was 19 I compressed 2 vertabra mid back after being involved in a MVA. I lost both feeling and strengh in my Rt lower arm. Over the years I was able to regain 90% of both functions through exercise. One thing I was left with is a 1/2 inch difference in the aboved mentioned forearm compared to my less dominate left arm. Lately, my Rt lower arm is getting notically thinner and now there is a difference of one inch at the upper forearm. Also, I have been doing Cardio exercises for the last 6 months. Do you have any idea as to why this is happening based on the information that I have provided.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic nerve damage can cause degenerative changes

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, the muscle atrophy can lead to shortening of limb and can be sequelae of chronic nerve damage. Also that with aging degenerative changes may speed up due to micronutrients deficiencies and impaired absorption as well as normal aging mechanisms.

You may need to get it reviewed by an orthopedician and a neurologist and for reassurance nerve conduction studies specially of affected like should be performed to diagnose the affected nerve.

Meanwhile physiotherapy and properly guided excercises should be discussed with a physiotherapist to help to overcome the deformity partly. Using supplements for calcium D3 bisphonates B12 and folic acid can be of help.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on